August 27, 2012

Brunch Adventures: Tom Phat

When I first came here with my mom and brother I was absolutely in love with this place! I was told that this was a "Malaysian Fusion" place, and so I expected Malaysian people running the place, and was slightly surprised when I saw Caucasian waiters! I suppose my brother was just slightly misinformed, and consequently I was misinformed too.... 

It definitely is fusion but hardly Malaysian :p More Vietnamese and Thai influences. At my first visit here I had this amazing roti + thai beef salad thing, which sounds a little weird (roti plus salad? In fact when I ordered it, it was under the heading of "Roti and Salads" but somehow I interpreted it as being "All roti dishes and salad dishes are listed here" instead of "All these salads are served with roti") but I loved it! Super tangy and the roti was soft and chewy (the way it should be! not crispy like how some people seem to like it, especially here in Melbourne. Roti tisu is crispy, yes. Roti canai crispy on the outside, yes. Roti canai crispy inside and out?? no. just, no.)

But that was almost 2 years ago...

And so much to my disappointment, by the time I came back, they've changed their menu :(

You know that reeeeally lousy feeling when you've set your taste buds on something and then you cant eat it because the restaurant is closed or its sold out or something horrible like that? Or maybe thats just me...


Roti Omelette with Tomato Salsa, Bacon, Chives.
 I wanted more meat so I had a side of grilled pork chop.
I really wanted roti. And from the list of roti+salads they used to have, the new menu only has one roti dish! (for lunch/brekkie anyway, not sure about dinner). I suppose its kind of like roti telur, but instead of the telur being in the roti, this roti is in the telur. Personally I thought it was'nt seasoned enough. But I have a feeling thats more of my own problem than theirs. Somehow to me if something isn't spicy, its borderline tasteless. Had to add salt and chilli sauce... But after I did that, cant fault the dish! Plus it satisfied my roti cravings so I'm not complaining.

Yellow curry with Hanoi Baguette
Meitze's dish. I thought those were carrots. But they're sweet potatoes! An interesting twist to the usual curry chicken and potatoes, I suppose? Super fragrant and flavoursome! Well spiced, (could this be my bias-ness to the spice? hmmm) and the bread dipped in curry sauce is just ... yum. Salivating just thinking about it.


Conclusion: Not very impressed with my roti dish, but the curry dish gives me hope. Maybe one day I'll come back to give this place another go and try other things :)

Meitzes totally sinful chocolate coated reese sandwiched in a double stuffed oreo 

Needless to say, its going to take me 500 days of exercise before I burn off all those calories... yup.
Not gonna happen.


side note: maybe I should start rating my dishes out of 10? hmm.

Tom Phat
184 Sydney Road
Brunswick VIC 3056
03-93812374

No comments:

Post a Comment