August 13, 2012

Brunch Adventures: Dead Man Espresso

"I hear the angels talking, talking talking, now I'm a dead man walking, walking, walking"


Can't help but have this song ring in my head the every time I (or anyone else) say Dead Man Walking... oops I mean espresso.


Herb and potato rosti with poached egg, avocado and smoked salmon
Potato rosti is probably one of my favourite brunch food item, right up there with perfectly poached eggs (I don't even mind if they cheat by using poaching bags I just want my eggs). One of my favourite cafe's does an AMAZING rosti, but recently they've changed it to some sort of fried mash potato patty thing and I am utterly depressed. So I was super happy with this rosti! Crispy and delicious (and possibly not very healthy, but lets not think about that). Simple but delicious! Though I probably should have ordered another poached egg because I'm not much of a fan of dry food, and in my honest opinion I could've done without the salmon.

Didn't try these next ones but here are pictures anyway.
Debs and Debs dishes (Because Jon had scrambled eggs. Boring.)

Smoky beans in tomato sugo with paprika oil and Pyegana Cheddar crumble with toast

BLT - pork belly and spinach puree on brioche with side of gazpacho
What on earth is a gazpacho. The waiter explained but I wasn't paying attention. Absent-minded as always. But from the bits and pieces of the conversation I could gather, its some sort of tomato sauce/soup thingy. Apparently its delicious!
Magic?
 Recently introduced to ... magic coffee? No, you will not get super powers or excrete golden eggs after you drink it, but it refers to the way they extract the shot/the part of the shot that they use (something like that. Debs explained this to me but once again, I cant remember details). What I can remember is, it doesn't contain the part of the coffee that would taste bitter (hoorah!).

edit:  Magic - double ristretto with milk. without the bitter end of the coffee and most of the caffiene. 
(thanks debs) So to me it tastes a little bit lighter and the taste is clearer. But then again my coffee taste buds aren't exactly very developed yet so I could be very wrong.

Side note: I just read an article about caffeine addiction. Apparently it takes 7 days to get addicted to caffeine. I have yet to find out if these effects are reversible. 

So now thanks to my new found interest in coffee, I'm ruining my teeth AND destroying my brain. Perfect.


Dead Man Espresso
35 Market Street
Melbourne
03-96862255

2 comments: